The Tuvalu Fisheries Department will be conducting a 5 weeks Fisheries Observer Basic Training Course starting on the 23rd of November this year, 2020 and are now inviting applications from interested Tuvalu citizens.
Fisheries Observers work aboard commercial fishing vessels, where they are the eyes and ears of our Tuvalu Government. They collect biological and compliance data that assists scientists, fisheries enforcement officers and economists to provide the advice and support that managers need to make wise decisions on the future use of this important resource.
The work is rewarding and challenging, requiring dedicated, honest and tough individuals, who can work long hours, can be away from home long periods and often in very difficult conditions at sea and can communicate and interact well with different people while at the same time, be considerate and conscious of the sensitivity of the environment they are working in.
Tuvalu Fisheries Department now invites applications from both genders (both Male and Female) Tuvalu citizens for this up-coming training.
Applicants must meet the following minimal requirements:
- Age: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age (minimum age), but not above 45 years (maximum age)
- Birth Certificate or Passport: Applicants must provide a copy of their Birth Certificate or copy of their passport biodata page to be attached with their application form when submitting.
- Education: Applicants must have at least completed Form 6 or equivalent to Form 6 level of Education.
- Academic Confirmation; Applicants must provide a copy of their School certificate or a written and signed document from the Ministry of Education or their former school Principal confirmation their level of Education attained.
- Police Clearance: Applicants must provide a Police Clearance record to be attached with their application form when submitting.
- Physical Fitness: Applicants must be fit and have no medical condition that may cause problems in the job; successful applicants will need to undergo a medical examination before they are confirmed for the course. A Medical Certificate will be required from successful applicants once he or she has been selected to attend the training.
- Language: English is the Business Language of this profession and thus, it is encouraging that applicants must be able to write and speak English to a minimum level of acceptance
- Citizenship: Must be a Citizen of Tuvalu
* When submitting an application, applicants must ensure that they have attached the following documents:
- The application form itself
- Police clearance certificate or document
- Birth Certificate or Passport Bio Data Page (photo page)
- Form 6 certificate or written and signed document confirming the level of Education attained. Page 2 of 2
N.B: Completion of this course does not lead to full-time employment. Successful candidates achieving satisfactory results will be awarded a Pacific Island Regional Fisheries Observer (PIRFO) Recognized Certificate that will qualify them to take up contracts with Tuvalu Observer Programme and other Regional and Sub-regional Observer Service Providers.
Tuvalu Fisheries Department currently offers a contract for observer services on a trip-by-trip basis.
- All applicants must be physically present in Funafuti to await confirmation of their applications.
- Entry test will only be conducted in Funafuti on the 18th November, the week after the closing date for all successful applicants.
- Selected applicants will then be invited to attend the PIRFO Observer Basic Training starting on the 23rd November 2020.
Application Forms can be collected at Tuvalu Fisheries Department Office at Teone, Funafuti on working hours only OR you can download it here: http://www.tuvalufisheries.tv/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/OBSERVER-APPLICATION-FORM.pdf
All applications should be addressed to: The Director of Fisheries Tuvalu Fisheries Department, “Fisheries Basic Observer Training” Teone, FUNAFUTI Tuvalu For further enquiries, contact Ph: 20343
Closing Date of Applications is 13th November 2020 at 4 pm